Understanding the Menstrual Cycle
As a naturopathic doctor who works a lot with hormone health, I am constantly answering questions about the menstrual cycle, the hormones involved, and what causes hormonal imbalances.
In order to truly understand the roles of the different hormones, and the pathology of menstrual cycle issues, we need to review the different stages of the menstrual cycle.
In this video I review in detail the different stages of the menstrual cycle, the hormonal changes and the impacts this has on symptoms, mood and fertility. This isn’t your basic tutorial. Hormones are complex. I want you to understand all that occurs during the menstrual cycle, and how this relates to your symptoms and health.
Highlights of the video:
- Differentiating between the follicular and luteal phase of the menstrual cycle.
- Reviewing the average length of the menstrual cycle.
- Reviewing the different hormones involved:
- Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH)
- Luteinizing hormone (LH)
- Anti-mullarian hormone (AMH)
- Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG)
- Explaining how the changes in hormones affect the different stages of the menstrual cycle and fertility.
- Explaining ovulation.
- Reviewing the factors that affect fertility.